Wednesday, January 09, 2008

...it occurs to me that I haven't actually wrote about a run (that wasn't a race) in quite some time, that shouldn't imply that I haven't been running, though, truth be told, I am in a wee bit of a lull currently. Post marathon blues? Nah, I don't think so, I just haven't had a training plan to stick to so it's been easier to blow off a run when I'm feeling lazy. I'm in the process of turning that around. Come Feb. 18th I'll begin another training schedule, assuming I'm able to get registered for Grandma's Marathon (the field is limited to the first 9000). In the mean time I'm back to "running" running, or in other words I'm kinda running stupid... running like I did when I started training for Seattle way back in March, running fast with little regard for myself... it's nice, fulfilling, and eye opening. I'm seeing the results of months of running at the same pace (or at least same effort level) and it isn't pretty. I'm still capable of running "fast" it just takes more effort than it used to... that brings us to last night's run...

Last night was my standard 6 (+) mile route, prior to heading out the door I asked my beautiful wife if she minded waiting to eat diner until I returned (as opposed to us eating, me waiting, then finally going for my run) she asked how long I'd be and I responded with 'a little less than an hour' she let me know that the sooner the better, so I headed out the door thinking I might shorten my route. Shortly down the road I realized that I had no desire to due less than 6 miles (and really, felt like I owed my self 12 or so but that can wait 'til Sunday) so I resolved that I would just run harder. The run it self was uneventful, the rain managed to stop and then hold off just long enough for me to not be hit by even a drip, the weather was cool, & I was warm with in 10 minutes. I managed to stay pretty focused on running quickly, only needing to kick start my self a few times along the way. When I got home I took a peak at the clock, I had run the route in 47 minutes, give or take 59 seconds (I broke my pedometer which I used to keep time on, by running into Lake Washington with it on during the Trip & Dip... yeah, I'm stupid...). So, calling it 47 minutes even, and taking note that the route is actually 6.12 mile (I'll take what I can get) that breaks own to a 7:40/mile, a time I feel like a I can be fairly happy with for the time being. In retrospect, it seems kind of silly to have been running hard in order to get home sooner, after all would a minute or 2 plus or minus really stick out all that much to my wife? Doubtful. Yet the amount of effort exerted can be drastically different, had I finished in 45 minutes even I would have needed tho drop 18 seconds per mile where as, had I made it home in 50 minutes I could have run at a much more comfortable 8:10/mile pace. In the long run I'm happy I was able to have that extra push, it allowed me to get a decent idea of where I'm at speed wise.

Once Feb. 18th rolls around training is gonna be a lot different, the first month and half or so will include 'pace' runs which basically mean runs like the one I did last week. After that hill training will be incorporated as well, consisting of sprinting up 200 meters worth of hill, jogging back down, and repeating multiple times, and still managing to get in ever increasing mileage as well. Come week 11 speed work will be worked in as well, meaning 2 minutes of hard running, 1 minute of easy running, and repeat 6 times then finish what ever the prescribed mileage is at an easy pace. (See the full schedule below) I really looking forward to starting this regiment with full intentions of sticking to it better than the last one... after all, I have a few goals I'd like to meet, but I'll post about that later...

(To see the full training schedule, go to this link http://www.grandmasmarathon.com/training/marathon.php and click on "Intermediate Runners", once you've done that a PDF file will open including the schedule shown above and a day by day break down of each run... )

No comments: