Friday, June 06, 2008

dreams (the sleepy kind, not the 'goals' kind)

... my recent dreams have been making me apprehensive (perhaps I'm having these dreams because subconsciously I actually am apprehensive, I don't know)...

In the past 2 nights I've had 2 dreams of marathon mishaps.

Wednesday night I showed up at the Green River Marathon, which, in my dream, was a fairly large marathon beginning on Broadway on Capitol Hill (in Seattle). I arrived early enough to sit down with my wife and began to mess with my shoes and socks, all of a sudden a heard a man yell "Go!", I looked up and saw hoards of runners hit the course, I hurried to get my socks and shoes on and ran to join the rear of the crowd. About 2 blocks down the road I realized I had forgot my water bottle and, since I knew the course was unsupported, I turned around to go get it (?!?). When I got back to the starting area my wife was up in a cherry picker (turns out this is where we had been sitting... what?) I yelled to her to throw me my bottle and she did, along with 2 others (?) at this point I was far behind any other runners. I sprinted up to catch the back of the pack but then I thought I would run out of steam later in the race if I continued to push at such a pace... then the alarm went off and I woke up...

That next night things got even weirder... I was in Minnesota for Grandma's marathon but for some reason I was starting the course 3 hours late, never-the-less, I began to run but couldn't muster anything more than an extremely labored plodding motion, I was being passed by other runners who were en route to finishing (for some reason this version of Grandma's was an out and back course) who looked at me strangely. At one point I realized I was carrying my dog... Some time around the 3 mile mark I realized I would not be able to make the cut off time for the race (6 hours), I decided I needed to quit and call my wife and/or parents to let them know the situation and have them come pick me up. I stopped at a random house and asked to use the phone, things got weirder from there but running ceased to be a central theme, so I won't bore you with the details...

I had dreams like this prior to my first marathon (Seattle '07) as well... my wife and I began joking that I run in my sleep (yes, like a dog) after we had to throw away a bottom bed sheet that had 2 holes worn in it that lined up perfectly with my heals...

Well, tomorrow I'll be running in real life, hopefully nothing from my dreams becomes reality, that's all for now...

(please excuse the total lack of proper grammar, it's really hard to explain a dream with out speaking/typing in a stream of consciousness style)

No comments: