Thursday, March 20, 2008

I tried to squeeze in my 'long' run last night but it didn't end up being so long, but it was alright. My intentions were to head over to Schmitz and just do loops for a coupe of hours, so I headed up the hill, down a few blocks and into the park. The trails were even muddier than usual which was all well and fine... for a little while... because of my late start, I brought along my head lamp do deal with the dark trail, but the wee head lamp could only provide so much light. I could see the trail below my feet but not too much more, had the trail been solid, it wouldn't have much mattered, but, as it was, portions were like running on a slip-n-slide. After an hour and 15 minutes of survival running (which was a lot of fun, don't get me wrong) I decided the chance of me injuring my self in one way or another significantly grew with each lap so I headed out of the park and up to the local middle school to circle the track for a while. It should be noted that I can't stand running around a track for any extended amount of time, it drives me crazy. At about an hour and 35 minutes I decided to pack it in and head home, I had a hot spot forming on my right arch, the rain and wind had picked up, and really, I just was no longer enjoying my self. I can't image an extra 20 minutes (to make it 2 hours even) would have been that valuable... it just wouldn't have served that much of a purpose...
Having said all that, I really did enjoy my trail time, I felt strong from start to finish and would have gladly stuck out there had conditions permitted, oh well... I won't have a chance to run tonight or tomorrow but perhaps I sneak in some miles come Saturday... hopefully...

No comments: