Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm still here...

Alright, so after a good week (+) of silence I'm back. The last 2 weeks or so (essentially since Mt. Si) have been lazy days, I could say I was resting/healing up from the 50 miles but that's not really the case. The truth is, I've just been lazy. The combination of some minor soreness after Mt. Si, a clear 'racing' schedule, and no real 'in my face' running goals proved a big enough mental block for me to just not think (let alone, do) running for a bit, but now (I think) I'm ready to get back into gear.

On Monday I headed out for about an hour with the intentions of doing something different, it's been quite a while since I've trained anywhere other than Schmitz Park and though I still love that little loop, felt a change of scenery might help me re-focus. I headed through West Seattle until I reached the Longfellow Creek Legacy Trail (which I entered just south of the West Seattle golf course) and from there, did my best to follow it. The trail is not well marked and crosses over and through various residential streets, as a result, there were times I needed to slow down and figure out exactly where to go next. The trail itself sort of turned out to be a bust, though well maintained, it's nothing I'd go out of my way to run, the only real upside I found was that I was able to work some stairs in as well, there was one public stair case in particular that turned into a good mid run challenge. All in all though, I don't see my self heading back down there anytime soon.

On a different note, I'm still trying to find new and inventive ways to register for various races that catch my eye. Most recently, I've been contemplating the Where's Waldo 100K, I've been aware of this race for a while but only recently started thinking of it as a viable option. Of course, like all too many other races, this one requires plenty of sacrifice on the part of my wife (whether she accompanies me or not) mainly due to it's location and timing logistics, it's not 'til August so there's plenty of time to get my ducks in a row, but right now I can't see more than a 50/50 chance of me running this despite wanting to.

I intend on heading out for a run again this afternoon, though I don't know for how far/long or on what route. Also, this coming Monday is my wife & I's 5th anniversary so we're headed off to Cannon Beach, OR, I just did a little on line digging and there appears to be a great (old Lewis and Clark) trail through Ecola State Park... I wonder how early I'll have to get up on Sunday to go log some miles in there? ;-)

1 comment:

Jonathan S. said...

Ecola State Park is fine, beautiful even. Steer clear of E. coli State Park.